Requirements for Graduate Programs
Applicants for admission as graduate students must submit evidence of completion of a bachelor degree from a regionally accredited or state approved college or a comparable foreign institution of higher learning, with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
Admissions Check List
The following admission and application procedures are for graduate students. New students who are looking for the admission into the ESL or Open Enrollment program should use a separated application form.
Application for admission to the graduate programs requires the submission of the following to the Office of Admissions:
- APPLICATION FEE of $50 for domestic students or $100 for international students. (The application fee must accompany the application and is non-refundable. Check or money order should be payable to University of the West);
- Complete and sign the application for ADMISSIONS FORM;
- A 500-600 word STATEMENT OF PURPOSE, typed and double spaced;:
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS from each school, college or university attended;
- COPIES OF DIPLOMA for all degrees earned;
- Three LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION;
- Verification of ENGLISH PROFICIENCY (for International Students or non-native English-speaking students);
- Official TOEFL score report with a minimum score of 79 on Internet Based Test (iBT), 213 on the Computer Based Test (CBT) or 550 on the Paper Based Test (PBT).
- Based on the student’s TOEFL test score he/she may be placed in the Academic English Skills Bridge sequence (ENGL 100A/B; see Course Descriptions for ESL / Academic English Program). Students enrolled in Academic English usually may enroll concurrently in a maximum of two degree-program courses. TEOFL scores between 69-78 (iBT), 196-212 (CBT), or 525-549 (PBT) are eligible for Academic English Bridge placement. Students with these scores may take the UWest English Placement Test (EPT) and be admitted into a graduate degree program with a qualifying score.
- Or; official IELTS score report with a minimum score of 6.0.
- Based on the student’s IELTS test score he/she may be placed in the Academic English Skills Bridge sequence English (ENGL 100A/B; see Course Descriptions for ESL / Academic English Program). Students enrolled in Academic usually may enroll concurrently in a maximum of two degree-program courses. An IELTS score of 5.5 is eligible for Academic English Bridge placement. Students with this score may take the UWest English Placement Test (EPT) and be admitted into a graduate degree program with a qualifying score.
- Students with three or more years of successful participation in a college or university academic program where English was the main language of instruction are generally not required to submit a TOEFL score, IELTS score or to take the English Placement Test.
- Additional requirements for International (Foreign) Students
- Completed Financial Sponsor Agreement or Certification of Financial Resources with an official Bank Verification (a regular bank statement is not acceptable);
- Copies of Passport;
- Copies of Visa, and I-94 (if applicable);
- Copies of previous I-20 (transferring international students only);
- Transfer Release Form (transferring international students only).