Requirements for Undergraduate Students
Applicants for admission to the Bachelor of Arts and certificate programs must submit evidence of graduation from high school or successful completion of its equivalent (e.g., GED). Students who have not graduated from high school or completed its equivalent may be admitted on submitting evidence of completion of a minimum of 24 units with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher at a regionally accredited or state approved college. Transfers from post-secondary school must submit an official transcript from each school, college or university attended.
Admissions Check List
The following admission and application procedures are for undergraduate students. New students who are looking for the admission into the ESL or Open Enrollment program should use a separated application form.
Requirements for Admissions
APPLICATION FEE of $50 for domestic students or $100 for international students. (The application fee must accompany the application and is non-refundable. Check or money order should be payable to University of the West);
- Complete and sign the application for ADMISSIONS FORM;
- A 400-500 word PERSONAL ESSAY answering the question:
What skills and attitudes do you believe are necessary for a successful life?
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS from each school, college or university attended;
- COPIES OF DIPLOMA for all degrees earned;
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION;
- Verification of ENGLISH PROFICIENCY (for International Students or non-native English-speaking students);
- Official TOEFL score report with a minimum score of 69 on the Internet Based Test (iBT), 196 on the Computer Based Test (CBT) or 525 on the Paper Based Test (PBT).
- Based on the student’s TOEFL test score he/she may be placed in the Academic English Skills Bridge sequence (ENGL 100A/B; see Course Descriptions for ESL / Academic English Program). Students enrolled in Academic English usually may enroll concurrently in a maximum of two degree-program courses. TEOFL scores between 59-68 (iBT), 173-195 (CBT), or 500-524 (PBT) are eligible for Academic English Bridge placement. Students with these scores may take the UWest English Placement Test (EPT) and be admitted into an undergraduate degree program with a qualifying score.
- Or; official IELTS score report with a minimum score of 5.5.
- Based on the student’s IELTS test score he/she may be placed in the Academic English Skills Bridge sequence English (ENGL 100A/B; see Course Descriptions for ESL / Academic English Program). Students enrolled in Academic usually may enroll concurrently in a maximum of two degree-program courses. An IELTS score of 5.0 is eligible for Academic English Bridge placement. Students with this score may take the UWest English Placement Test (EPT) and be admitted into an undergraduate degree program with a qualifying score.
- Students with three or more years of successful participation in a college or university academic program where English was the main language of instruction are generally not required to submit a TOEFL score, IELTS score or to take the English Placement Test.
- Additional requirements for International (Foreign) Students
- Completed Financial Sponsor Agreement or Certification of Financial Resources with an official Bank Verification (a regular bank statement is not acceptable);
- Copies of Passport;
- Copies of Visa, and I-94 (if applicable);
- Copies of previous I-20 (transferring international students only);
- Transfer Release Form (transferring international students only).