Founded in 1991, today the University of the West (UWest) is a liberal arts university accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and committed to providing a whole-person education in a context informed by Buddhist wisdom and values. The goal of UWest is to foster understanding and appreciation of the dynamic intellectual and economic relationship between the East and the West. UWest offers academic programs at the bachelor’s, master’s and the doctorate degree level. University of the West, located in the city of Rosemead, Los Angeles County, California, is looking for a Career Services Coordinator.
The Career Services Coordinator is responsible for developing, coordinating, and managing all services, programs, and outreach activities in support of students’ career and professional development goals, including internships for business administration students. The Career Services Coordinator provides support, guidance, information, advice, and skills training and acts as a liaison between job-seekers and employers, by engaging in community outreach and partnership building activities for the purpose of promoting the University of the West’s students to potential employers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide prospective and current students with individual assistance and guidance with exploring and defining career options, developing employment skills, and preparing for and conducting a job search.
- Provide guidance, assistance, and practical support to students with resume/cover letter building, interview preparation (including mock interviews), and job/internship search strategy development.
- Assist individual clients with career exploration, assessment, planning, and development activities.
- Assist clients with identifying print and electronic career resources that help meet their career development needs.
- Design and develop new career-related initiatives and offerings.
- Keep abreast of new research and developments in the field of career services and development and update programming and service offerings where appropriate.
- Develop, coordinate, and facilitate skills development and career-related trainings and workshops.
- Develop, coordinate, and conduct outreach activities to promote the programs and services offered by the center.
- Prepare presentations and present to large and small groups through classroom activities, campus-wide and other group events, and center-sponsored workshops.
- Develop student guides, handouts, and other print and online resources on various career topics.
Employer Relations/University Relations
- Work with faculty, administration, and alumni to build partnerships between the university and external constituents (businesses, public sector, and non-profit entities).
- Collaborate with Student Affairs colleagues, university faculty and staff, alumni and external partners to provide timely and effective services and programming for students
- Maintain existing relationships with internal and external partners and develop new contacts through outreach efforts, communication, and ongoing assessment of all constituents’ needs.
- Assist in placement of federal work study recipients with local non-profits for community service
- Keep abreast of job market data and updates and communicate to appropriate parties.
- Manage various administrative duties, including but not limited to, creating/distributing fliers and marketing/support material, creating and updating forms and documents, developing and administering student/faculty/external partner surveys, researching center-related topics of interest, maintaining cleanliness and orderliness of center, advertising and promoting services and programs offered by the center, maintaining student data and files as needed.
- Conduct periodic review, evaluation and assessment of the center’s programs and services as required by the Institutional Research and Assessment Office.
- Develop and maintain the center’s website, social media sites and other online resources, as deemed appropriate.
Internship Program Coordination
- Provide support and guidance to MBA students who are searching for or applying for internship positions.
- Work closely with the Business Administration Department Chair and faculty to further develop and enhance the internship program.
- Develop and facilitate internship-related information sessions, trainings, and workshops for students in the MBA program.
- Liaise with external organizations and employers to develop partnerships in support of securing internship opportunities for MBA students.
- Maintain updated contact information for Psychology practicum placement sites.
- Participate in activities and events hosted by external organizations and community partners to promote the university and internship program and cultivate partnership opportunities.
The Career Services Coordinator will also:
- Lead and/or support designated center-wide initiatives.
- Participate in staff meetings, team projects and other planning activities.
- Complete an annual performance evaluation.
- Take part in professional development.
The Career Services Coordinator will provide additional services as assigned by the Student Success Center Director or the Dean of Student Affairs.
- B.A. degree in a relevant area
- 2-3 years working in a university or college career center
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken English
- Ability to explain western professional communication trends.
- Able to work well and respectfully with people from diverse backgrounds
- Able to employ patience, understanding, and a positive attitude when working with students (individually or in small groups), with faculty/staff members, and with other Success Center staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of FERPA requirements and ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Familiarity with the traditions and genres of professional communication (especially those in the U.S.), including both textual and multimodal products (résumés, cover letters, websites, PowerPoint presentations, reports, feasibility analyses, etc.).
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and a list of at least three professional references to:
University of the West, Human Resources
1409 N. Walnut Grove Avenue, Rosemead, California 91770
Fax: 626-571-1413; or Email