Domestic students seeking Federal Financial Aid, must complete the following steps:
- Create your own Federal Student Aid User ID (http://fsaid.ed.gov.), if you do not have one.
- Complete the 2016-2017 UWest Application for Financial Aid. (www.uwest.edu/financialaid)
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Application or Renewal FAFSA. (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/)
Students are encouraged to complete their FAFSA online as it allows the Financial Aid Office to access your information in a matter of days. The 2016-2017 FAFSA instructs students to identify the college(s) they have selected to receive their financial aid information by name and also by school code (036963).
Each student is responsible for updating his/her address information and making any corrections via FAFSA on the Web, or by phone 1-800-433-3243 (Federal Student Aid Information Center).
- If selected for verification, student and/or parent need to choose to automatically transfer IRS income tax information into the FAFSA using IRS Data retrieval Tool.
All students applying for 2016-2017 Federal Financial Aid must have a FAFSA on file in the Financial Aid Office by May 01, 2017 to be eligible for aid consideration. The last day to apply for Federal Financial Aid for the 2016-2017 academic year is May 01, 2017.
Students who wish to be considered for Institutional Scholarships must submit the following:
- 2016-2017 UWest Application for Financial Aid;
- 2016-2017 UWest International Student Supplemental Application for Financial Aid; (International students only)
- A maximum one-thousand-word essay regarding applicant’s leadership experience, community service involvement and future plan; and
- References from previous direct supervisors from work, community leaders, or academic advisors/teachers. Two references are required for the President’s Scholarship, and one reference is required for the Dean’s Scholarship. References must be original and completed on the UWest Fellowship and Scholarship Reference Form, in a sealed envelope and signed by the referee.
Note: Items #3 and #4 are not required for UWest Scholarship and Lotus Scholarship.
Deadline for applying for Institutional Financial Aid is:
- April 1of each award year.
- New students can submit the UWest Application for Financial Aid when applying for admission.
- Students are responsible for ensuring all documents are submitted on time. Applications submitted after the above-mentioned deadlines will only be considered under exceptional circumstances, if funds are still available.