Buddhist Chaplaincy Program - Admission Requirements
Application Deadline: March 15 (for fall admission)
- APPLICATION FEE of $50 for domestic students or $100 for international students. (The application fee must accompany the application and is non-refundable. Check or money order should be payable to University of the West)
- Complete and sign the APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION.
- A 500-600 word STATEMENT OF PURPOSE, typed and double spaced.
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS from each school, college or university attended.
- COPIES OF DIPLOMA for all degrees earned.
- Three LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION.
- Resume or CV.
- Verification of ENGLISH PROFICIENCY (for International Students or non-native English-speaking students)
- Official TOEFL score report with a minimum score of 79 on Internet Based Test (iBT), 213 on the Computer Based Test (CBT) or 550 on the Paper Based Test (PBT).
- Based on the student’s TOEFL test score he/she may be placed in the Academic English Skills Bridge sequence (ENGL 100A/B; see Course Descriptions for ESL / Academic English Program). Students enrolled in Academic English usually may enroll concurrently in a maximum of two degree-program courses. TEOFL scores between 69-78 (iBT), 196-212 (CBT), or 525-549 (PBT) are eligible for Academic English Bridge placement. Students with these scores may take the UWest English Placement Test (EPT) and be admitted into a graduate degree program with a qualifying score.
- Or; official IELTS score report with a minimum score of 6.0.
- Based on the student’s IELTS test score he/she may be placed in the Academic English Skills Bridge sequence English (ENGL 100A/B; see Course Descriptions for ESL / Academic English Program). Students enrolled in Academic usually may enroll concurrently in a maximum of two degree-program courses. An IELTS score of 5.5 is eligible for Academic English Bridge placement. Students with this score may take the UWest English Placement Test (EPT) and be admitted into a graduate degree program with a qualifying score.
- Students with three or more years of successful participation in a college or university academic program where English was the main language of instruction are generally not required to submit a TOEFL score, IELTS score or to take the English Placement Test.
- Additional requirements for International (Foreign) Students
- Completed Financial Sponsor Agreement or Certification of Financial Resources with an official Bank Verification (a regular bank statement is not acceptable);
- Copies of Passport;
- Copies of Visa, and I-94 (if applicable);
- Copies of previous I-20 (transferring international students only);
- Transfer Release Form (transferring international students only).
An on-campus interview may be required. Admission will be on the basis of an evaluation of academic records, the essay, letters of recommendation, and on-campus interview by the Admission Committee consisting of the Dean of Academic Affairs, the Chair and/or Assistant Chair of Religious Studies, the Coordinator of the Buddhist Chaplaincy Program, and the Office of Admissions.