Dean’s Institutional Scholarship (Half Tuition Waiver)
University of the West has established the Dean’s Scholarship to encourage and motivate students who provide outstanding leadership and service to their communities or to University of the West.
How to Apply:
For students who wish to be considered for Dean's Scholarship they must submit the following:
- Completed and signed UWest Financial Aid Application Form;
- A completed and signed University of the West International Student Supplemental Application for financial aid. (International students only)
- A maximum one-thousand-word essay regarding applicant’s leadership experience, community service involvement and future plan; and
- References from previous direct supervisors from work or community leaders, or academic advisors/teachers. Two references are required for President’s Scholarship; one reference is required for Dean’s Scholarship. References must be original and completed on the UWest Fellowship and Scholarship Reference Form and provided in a sealed envelope signed by the referee.
- Application Deadline is April 1.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all documents are submitted on time. Applications submitted after the above-mentioned deadline will only be considered under exceptional circumstances if funds are still available.
- Award will be used to cover half tuition up to 15 units for undergraduate students and 12 units for graduate students each semester awarded (Fall and Spring only). The award is for tuition only and does not cover any fees or expenses required for attendance.
- The award is made in the form of tuition waiver. No money will be paid to the student.
- Award amounts may vary depending on the how many units of courses the student registers for. Examples of award calculations for each Fall and Spring semester are as follows
*Based on 2015-2016 tuition rates.
- The number of scholarships awarded will be determined by the President’s Office every year.
Term of Award:
- This scholarship is an annual award that covers Fall and Spring semesters only. Summer sessions are not included. Recipients are subject to a mid-year progress review during the first two weeks of the Spring semester (see below).
- This scholarship is available to continuing degree-seeking students at UWest. ESL students or students seeking a certificate only are not qualified for this scholarship.
- To qualify for the scholarship a student must carry a full-time credit load, defined as registering for, and successfully completing, a minimum of 12 units each semester (24 units per academic year) for undergraduates and 9 units each semester (18 units per academic year) for graduate students. Students must be pre-registered at the full-time credit level before the award can be made available. Exceptions to this full-time enrollment rule may be made through an appeal process for students in their final semester.
- The minimum required GPA is 3.5 for graduates and 3.2 for undergraduates. Exceptions may be made based on individual cases. Students who have a GPA lower than the minimum requirements may still be considered for scholarship acceptance if they are able to demonstrate distinguished strength in other evaluation criteria.
- Leadership - Demonstrate initiative in making constructive contributions to UWest and/or the wider community. This may include suggestions and/or organization of activities that have led to curriculum, institutional, or community improvements.
- Service – A demonstrated record of service activities that contribute to the well-being of UWest and/or the wider community.
- Integrity - Demonstrate behavior that reflects ”honesty”, ”compassion”, ”equanimity” and ”appreciation for differences”.
- Academic Achievement – Candidates should maintain the minimum GPA requirement.
Mid-year Progress Review:
- During the first two weeks of the Spring semester, recipients of the scholarship will be reviewed for eligibility based on their enrollment status and academic progress. Recipients may be disqualified for the scholarship if the eligibility and scholarship criteria are no longer met.
Other Important Terms and Conditions:
- This scholarship is non-transferable and may not be delayed or postponed.
- This scholarship is to be used only for classes required by the student’s program of study or applicable to graduation from their program of study.
- This scholarship cannot be awarded in conjunction with the President’s Scholarship, Buddha’s Light Fellowship, Lotus Scholarship, IBEF Scholarship, or UWest Scholarship. A student must return the scholarship fund if other scholarship money is received.
- A scholarship recipient may become disqualified after the award is made if his or her enrollment status changes during the term of award, in which case the student must return the scholarship fund received.
- Should an award be declined or returned, the Financial Aid Committee may apply that award to another qualified and vetted applicant.